The collegiate-Gothic university library was originally constructed in 1948. While a 1968 addition provided space for growth, the architectural design of the addition abandoned the Gothic styling and creative detailing of the original Library. The new design preserves the integrity of the original library; reestablishes a clear organization of spaces; and integrates current technologies. A new, open atrium connects all floors with a grand staircase, while connecting the original building and the 1968 addition. The atrium brings natural light into the heart of the library and provides a central study/circulation area. The design leads users through the renovated building, which contains reference, periodicals, study areas, computer labs, and the circulation desk. The addition establishes a new south entry to the library and services (such as management and media), staff offices, archives, special collections, and historical and genealogical records.