Located in the Chicago Cultural Center’s Preston Bradley Hall, the world’s largest Tiffany dome was restored to the highest conservation standards, and the cast iron frame was cleaned and restored to its original gilded finish. The original glass of the outer dome had been replaced with concrete panels in 1935. Many years after the Cultural Center was built, the translucent dome was replaced by one made of concrete blocks and covered with copper.
It was then necessary to install lighting behind the art glass so it could be viewed. The new skylight utilizes the original steel structure and restores natural light to illuminate the Tiffany glass.